Home remedies for mouth ulcers: Mouth ulcers are a common issue that almost everyone experiences at some point. These sores occur inside the cheeks, on the tongue, and inside the lips. They appear as white or red wounds and, while not a significant problem, can be quite painful. Mouth ulcers can cause discomfort, a burning sensation in the mouth, and difficulty eating. In some cases, they may even lead to bleeding. Failure to treat them in a timely manner can, on rare occasions, contribute to the development of cancer.
What is Mouth Ulcer
In Ayurveda, the problem of mouth ulcers is referred to as “Mukhapaka.” This condition is observed in cases of excessive spiciness, digestive issues, or constipation. It causes a burning sensation and makes eating difficult. Mouth ulcers are associated with an imbalance of Pitta dosha in Ayurveda. Ayurvedic treatments aim to balance the Pitta dosha and reduce the occurrence of ulcers.
Mouth ulcers, known as “Muh ke chhale” in Hindi, come in both small and large forms. Based on their causes, they are classified into two types:
1. Aphthous ulcers: These ulcers occur due to digestive issues, spicy foods, or other non-contagious factors. They are not spread through diseases or external factors.
2. Fever blisters: These ulcers, also known as fever blisters, are caused by the herpes simplex virus around the lips.
Ayurvedic treatments focus on addressing the root causes, balancing doshas, and reducing the occurrence of mouth ulcers.
Causes of Mouth Ulcer – Home remedies for mouth ulcers
Most people start looking for medication or home remedies for mouth ulcers without knowing the exact cause. Keep in mind that if you are not aware of the correct cause of the ulcers, treating them can be quite challenging. As mentioned earlier, mouth ulcers are often a result of an imbalance in Pitta dosha. Apart from that, there can be various other reasons for the occurrence of mouth ulcers. Let’s first understand more about them:
- Stomach issues or constipation.
- Accidental cheek bites while cleaning teeth with a hard-bristled brush or during chewing.
- Presence of the bacterium Helicobacter pylori.
- Deficiency in the body of Vitamin B-12, zinc, folic acid, and iron.
- Consuming excessively oily and spicy food.
- Hormonal changes during menstruation in women.
- Use of toothpaste or mouthwash containing Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.
- Some individuals may exhibit sensitivity or allergies to specific food items such as eggs, strawberries, nuts, or spicy foods.
- Chemical substances like aspirin or alcohol coming into contact with the mucous membrane of our mouth can cause necrosis, leading to the formation of ulcers.
Apart from this, mouth ulcers also occur due to some diseases-
1. Individuals suffering from chronic constipation often develop recurrent mouth ulcers.
2. Conditions like Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative colitis, which affect the intestines.
3. Celiac disease, a gastrointestinal disorder where the person is sensitive to gluten, a protein found in grains.
4. Weakened immune system or low immunity.
5. Having HIV, which reduces the ability to fight diseases.
Prevention from Mouth Ulcer
To avoid mouth ulcers, there is a need to bring changes in diet and lifestyle-
- Avoid consuming foods with excessive spices and chili.
- Refrain from chewing too much gum, as it can lead to mouth ulcers. Therefore, avoid this habit.
- Include fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C in your diet.
- Consume dairy products such as yogurt, butter, paneer, and milk to ensure an adequate intake of vitamin B, which can be a contributing factor to mouth ulcers.
- Use raw onions as a salad with meals.
- Maintain a balanced diet rich in nutrients, as deficiencies in vitamin B6, folic acid, zinc, and iron can lead to mouth ulcers.
- Drink 7-8 glasses of water daily.
- Prevent constipation by including fiber-rich vegetables and fruits in your diet.
- Consume green tea regularly.
- Pay special attention to oral hygiene.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush for dental hygiene.
How to cure mouth ulcers fast naturally
When you have mouth ulcers (Muh ke chale), it is advisable to try home remedies first instead of immediately resorting to English medicines. If the ulcers persist despite home remedies, it is recommended to consult a doctor. Let’s explore some of these home remedies:
Tulsi : Home remedies for mouth ulcers
Chew 4-5 basil leaves twice a day and eat them.
Honey and Mulethi : Home remedies for mouth ulcers
Mixing licorice powder with honey and applying this paste on mouth ulcers (Muh ke chhale) can provide relief. Allow the saliva to dribble out of the mouth after applying the paste.
Black Catechu : Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers
Katha is very beneficial for mouth ulcers. Mix katha, licorice powder, and honey, then apply it to mouth ulcers. Additionally, mix katha with the soft leaves of guava and chew them like betel leaves.
Gargle Beneficial for Mouth Ulcer: Home remedies for mouth ulcers
Rinsing with a mouthwash is very beneficial in healing mouth ulcers. The effectiveness of ingredients depends on individual preferences and the nature of the person.
1. Gargle with lemon water by mixing honey in it.
2. Boil one cup of water with a tablespoon of coriander powder. Once the water cools down, gargle with it 3-4 times a day.
3. To reduce the burning sensation in mouth ulcers, mix turmeric powder in glycerin, apply it on the ulcers, and gargle after 20-25 minutes.
4. Make a decoction from Jamun bark and use it for gargling. (Benefits of Jamun)
5. Prepare a decoction of nutmeg and gargle with it 5-6 times a day.
6. Boil 30 grams of banyan tree bark in 1 liter of water, and gargle with it to heal mouth ulcers.
Honey and Cardamom : Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers
To heal mouth ulcers, you can also use honey. For this, make a mixture by combining honey and cardamom powder. Apply this mixture directly on the ulcers for 2-3 days.
Jasmine : Home remedy for Mouth Ulcers
Grinding jasmine leaves and applying its juice on the ulcers reduces the ulcers.
Amla Churna Beneficial for Mouth Ulcer
- Create a powder by grinding 25 grams of amla (Indian gooseberry), 10 grams of fennel seeds, 5 grams of cardamom, and 25 grams of mishri (rock sugar). Take this powder in a half-gram quantity twice a day with water.
- Mix 2.5 grams of camphor powder with 10 grams of lukewarm milk. Applying this mixture to mouth ulcers helps alleviate them.
When to See a Doctor?
If mouth ulcers are recurring or the condition is worsening rather than improving, it is advisable not to delay in consulting a doctor.
Read in Hindi – Click Here